Monday 25 June 2012

Mini Doughnut Stuffed Chocolate Fudge Cake

Aka: Heart attack cake.




This is the beast of a cake I made for my little brother's birthday.


It was kinda last minute, my mum rang the night before his birthday meal and asked if I could bake one. My sister had earlier brought over some mini chocolate doughnuts and we had some spare, so...


I stuffed them inside an already decadent cake. 

I started by making two chocolate fudge cakes (recipe here).


Then I whipped some double cream (about 100ml, you might like to use more, I'm just not a cream fan!) and pushed doughnut halves into it. 


Izzy would like me to mention that she cut them in half by herself.


I did an inner circle of them too so the top layer wouldn't slump in the middle.




I'd already made the topping while the cake was cooling by melting together about 300g dark chocolate with 200ml of double cream (so it could cool and thicken before using it). I spread a little of it on the top of the second cake, then very carefully, and quickly, turned it over and place on top of the doughnuts.



I then got my beautiful assistant to spread the rest of the chocolate fudge topping over the cake, pushing it to the edge so big drips would come down the sides.


We had ten adults and two kids at my brother's birthday meal.

We stuffed ourselves.


And we still had half the cake left. :)

5 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOW. I think I would like to try this with PROFITEROLES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my. that should be your housewarming cake!

      Delete
  2. Looks de-li-cious :) loving the idea of profiteroles too Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, how fun and yummy!

    ReplyDelete