Friday 9 November 2012

fabric place mats


While making risotto the other night I whipped up these place mats.

They're easy enough that even if you've never sewn before you could do these.



Grab a place mat for size and measure around. 



Cut two rectangles half an inch bigger for each place mat.

Then sew right sides together, leaving a few inches gap to turn. Iron then top stitch close to the edge.



I'd been struggling to find ones I liked in my price range, and the off of fabric was a couple of pounds in Ikea. I've got some spare that I'm using for coasters too. 



They work really well for less posh meals too. Peanut butter sandwiches are more than welcome too. 



And if they get dirty? They just pop in the wash, mine have already been in a few times and are holding up great!

Would also make a great gift if you could part with yours :)


I’m sharing this at the Dare to DIY party hosted by Decor and the DogMaybe MatildaNewly Woodwards, and Two Twenty One!

6 comments:

  1. Saw that fabric on my trip to Ikea - also saw that it had money off and was tempted to buy but I resisted - I think i will still be telling the story of 'the time I went to Ikea and just bought the things on my list' for many years to come :) They look great and I could so use that fabric for many things :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! so you should, that kind of restraint is impressive! i think i may go back for more to recover my footstool...

      Delete
  2. Great idea!!!

    Sharing this (and making them ASAP!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really great and that is one of my alltime favorite ikea fabrics/patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute idea! And what a great gift a set of these would be.\

    Thanks so much for linking up to Dare to DIY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love simple yet useful gift ideas...like this. Thanks for joining the Dare to DIY!

    ReplyDelete